The Diversity Empowerment Summit in 5 minutes
On the final day of the Linux Foundation’s Open Source Summit Angela Brown (who is co-hosting this video with me) decided to host a full day of talks on increasing diversity, inclusion, and empowerment in the Open Source community. It was inspiring and empowering.
Notes & Links
- Amy Chen created Ladies Storm Hackathons, a Facebook group dedicated to closing the gender gap in hackathons.
- Tameika Reed created Women in Linux, a community supporting women in Linux-centric tech careers.
- Emma Irwin and Larissa Shapiro spoke about the research they did at Mozilla and what they found to promote diversity and inclusion in Open Source.
- Rupa Dachere created Codechix, dedicated to the education, advocacy, and mentoring of women engineers in industry and academia.
- Nicole Huesman & Daniel Izquierdo led us through OpenStack’s Gender Diversity Report, which examines gender diversity and retention within the OpenStack community.
- Marina Zhurakhinskaya from Red Hat taught us about Outreachy, which provides 3-month internships for people from groups traditionally underrepresented in tech.